All Age Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.allagegaming.com - An independently owned Australian community console gaming website.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
All Age Gaming Website
Sponsors

AAG Social Network

All About Games Podcast

Homefront. AAG%20Podcast%20Logo%204

Affiliates

ALL AGE GAMING FRIENDS

Homefront. Brutalgamerlogo

Homefront.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kriss
AAG ROOKIE
kriss

AAG Poster Points : 53

Homefront. Empty
PostSubject: Homefront.   Homefront. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 4:55 am

I have it and after about 5 hours beat the campaign on normal difficulty. I must say it was a pretty damn good game. They could have spent more time fleshing out the PC, he has a name, is a civilian pilot, and says absolutely nothing, even when he has a com and the rest of the team think he's dead. But anyway, the story itself.

It's the year 2027, oil prices skyrocketed to over $20 a gallon, a plague hit America, the economy outright collapsed, and then the Peoples New Republic of Korea, an emerging Asiatic superpower, launches a massive EMP attack via satellite to knock out America's electrical systems for a full year before move in on the collapsed nation. Four years later (or so, it's not very specific on the 'present date'), you as a civilian pilot named Jacob get dragged out of your house by the Korean Police Authority. It seems the KPA is rounding up any civilian pilots they can get their hands on. The first mission starts when a resistance van rams into the side of the transport bus, and as the only one of the two pilots who survive, you are recruited into the resistance because you really have no choice at this point. And things only get harder from there.

The entire series of missions all lead from one directly to another. The end result, well I don't want to spoil anything but sequels are entirely possible and much wanted. The A.I. was well.....not so great on either side. Allies often stood between me and cover, resulting in me getting shot to death unless I ran away like a chicken. They would also draw enemy fire from missiles and machine-guns to my location, resulting in my quick death. They're also horrible shots, and you shoot several hundred times better than the military. The enemies on the other hand are great shots, grenade experts, and the way bullets work on them seems arbitrary at times as to whether or not five bullets is enough to kill them or not. however I rarely felt overwhelmed by them, even in greater numbers I could cut through easily enough with a grenade (which they NEVER run from) or just snipping them in cover.

I usually died from what I called 'unlucky blast' where I walked right into the path of a random missile or grenade that wasn't even aimed at me, 'gun down' where I fail to get into cover in time and everyone focuses their shots on me, and 'reload death'. Yeah, the ammo counter is Homefront is weird and you really don't get used to it. The number next to the gun never goes down until you reload (it's a 'spare ammo' counter), and little bullet images tick off how much ammo you have. Guess how obvious this system is that I've died several DOZEN times from 'reload death'. Reloads are long, and I mean LONG. It's not a simple 'eject and slap', you manually pull out the old magazine, reach over, pull out the new one, slide it in, cock, and then get the gun ready, and now you can shoot. And machine guns take even longer!

Despite these difficulties, I'd say the campaign is definitely worth a walkthrough for a genuine 'fighting for the American dream of freedom' story, and it really shows just how much war sucks, and why it's important to support your country and be willing to die for Freedom. And if you don't get an emotional response from some of the story elemnts, I don't know what to think.
Back to top Go down
PAG/ GroundRex
AAG SUPERSTAR
PAG/ GroundRex

AAG Poster Points : 497

Homefront. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homefront.   Homefront. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 10:09 am

i jhust finished the 3rd chapter. Pretty great story and good gameplay scenarios. I dont like the voice acting all to much and the friendly AI's that you are ment to follow are slow as hell. But over all pretty good game so far. Good thread!!
Back to top Go down
kriss
AAG ROOKIE
kriss

Homefront. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homefront.   Homefront. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 12:51 am

Yeah I was a bit worried it would be overly 'American Focused' but it's actually rather subdued, focusing less on the plight of AMERICA and more on the struggles of regular people to overcome the enemies. Also, the final battle, you'll have some serious hardware on your side. And I expect you to really feel some emotions as a human being. It doesn't really play on AMERICAN pride as it does the nobility of the human spirit.
Back to top Go down
PAG/ GroundRex
AAG SUPERSTAR
PAG/ GroundRex

AAG Poster Points : 497

Homefront. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homefront.   Homefront. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 1:50 am

Yea its not as "AMERICA FUCK YEA!" like games like call of duty and bulletstorm Razz.
Pretty good game. Just finished recording my review for it. 8 out of 10. =]

The end mission by the way was pretty sweet. Thats the thing that homefront has that other first person shooter titles dont. LOTS of epic moment instead of just afew for the whole game.
Back to top Go down
kriss
AAG ROOKIE
kriss

Homefront. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homefront.   Homefront. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 5:55 am

Yeah, I liked that. Most people save the epic for the end. And while the end was all out epic, the other chapters also had epic moments for the simple reason that you need epic moments for these sorts of games. One big fear is that 'if everything is epic it'll get dull'. The way you fix that is to have one or two epic moments in each chapter, then in the final chapter, since there is nothing left later to compare it to, go all out crazy. I also like that if you work it out, the entire event of the game from start to finish takes less than a week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Homefront. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homefront.   Homefront. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homefront.
Page 1 of 1